Whether you’re shopping for a new home or planning a new custom built home, you’ll likely ask yourself at some point: How big a home should we buy? This question’s answer depends on your family’s current needs, your plans for the future, budget constraints, and more.
Here at Norman Graham Builders, we want to help you answer this common question by offering some helpful guidelines. Choosing the right sized home is one of the most important things you can do to ensure a positive home ownership experience.
Too big and you run into issues like:
- Higher costs – We’re not just talking about the cost of the home itself, but also energy costs to heat or cool space that you don’t use, higher taxes, and increased cost of insurance. And those extra rooms will need to be furnished as well!
- Time suck – With all that extra space, you’ll be spending more of your time cleaning and maintaining parts of your home that might not see much traffic.
Too small and these might become issues:
- Space for current lifestyle – Where can you go if you need some personal time? Can you host that large party you were planning? Do you have enough space to store your common household items? Do you need space for projects?
- Outgrowing your home – If you plan on having children, adopting pets, or having family move in sometime in the future, make sure you can accommodate these changes without having to relocate.
In order to find the house size that’s just perfect, you need to decide on what’s important to you and your family. Here are a few questions to ask yourself to help determine how much space you need:
- Is our current housing too big or too small? (Use the current square footage as a baseline to gauge your new house’s size)
- Will our family expand or contract? (As mentioned above – children, pets, in-laws?)
- Do we need additional space? (Home office, man cave, workout room, playroom, workshop?)
- Is more time spent indoors or out? (How important are deck, porch, garden?)
- How much storage do you need? (Will your mound of stuff evict your car from the garage?)
- What kind of home is this? (Summer retreat? Will you live here full-time? How often do you travel?)
- How frequently do you entertain? (Large open area, large kitchen, enough bathrooms?)
Square footage is the simplest measure of your new home’s size, but not the only one. It’s important to understand how you will use the space and how your family’s size may change, so you can find that home that’s PERFECT.
Norman Graham Builders would love to help you custom-build that perfectly sized home! Simply give us a call at 717-656-7336 or email us at email@example.com and we’ll help you get started.