Mortgage rates are still low and the jobs market has made marked improvements. This has led forecasters to predict 2015 to be a good year for selling your home. Knowing what buyers want and how to market can therefore give you a distinct advantage on actually closing a deal. We’ve come up with a list of six common demands home buyers have that can help you gain a distinct advantage over your competition.
- Affordability – As rent continues to climb, the prospects of investing in a home rises as the pricing gap between the two narrows. Home costs obviously need to fit in the buyer’s budget. Study and price your home appropriately according to your local market.
- A Good Investment – It is crucial to make the best investment for the future. Many people agree that a home is a good long-term investment, and there’s plenty you can do to emphasize this point. Prepare a list of investments that boost your home’s value and perform some of the work beforehand. All the other items below will help convince your potential buyer that your home would be a great investment.
- Renovations/Remodels – We’ve already told you how to increase the value of your home through remodeling or renovating. Few people want to put in a lot of work on their new home. A home with minimal remodeling or renovation requirements is more likely to sell. Even small improvements can make a big difference, including door replacements, painted walls, and new windows. Modern kitchens are in high demand.
- Spacious – People have accumulated a lot of stuff they need space for. Closets, garages, or larger rooms and areas are in high demand. Walk-in and large closets will likely never go out of style.
- Private – We like to feel safe and secure in our homes, and privacy is near the top of the list for many buyers. Working from home is becoming more and more common, so as more time is spent at home this forever grows in importance. There are multiple ways to get creative and add privacy, including landscaping screens.
- Safe – Safe neighborhoods with low crime rates are also one of the top requirements for homebuyers. Even if you don’t live in the best area there are a few things you can do, like installing a home security system.
These items can all help you sell your home. The Norman L Graham team can offer you help with several of these items, with our specialization in home renovations and remodels. If you’d like to add more space through a garage or room addition, would like to renovate or remodel that dingy basement into an additional living space, or want to bring your kitchen out of the 60’s, we can help!