That exciting time in homeownership has finally come! You’ve sat down and made all the necessary considerations for your kitchen renovation and it’s time to get down to business. Suddenly, uncertainty creeps in. You’re not really sure where to start.
That’s where Norman Graham Builders can help!
If you’re taking that thrilling step into remodeling your kitchen, you’ll want to read this simple guide to keep you focused and moving through the process.
- Prioritize & Plan – You’ll need to take some time to decide what it is you want out of your new kitchen. Rank your wants and needs, determine your budget, and gather ideas of what you like or don’t like.
- Hire a Professional – We recommend including this as part of step one to ensure you’re asking the right questions and considering items that you might otherwise miss. Besides helping with planning, a professional like Norman Graham Builders will get the ball rolling on acquiring necessary permits, ordering products, and even managing the project.
- Visualize & Price – Move beyond just trying to visualize what the kitchen will look like. You’ll need to measure, plan, and sketch out the project. This will help you determine a price range that’s realistic. Here you can decide whether you afford high quality (and expensive) natural stone flooring rather than the more economical laminate flooring, or if you can splurge on those gold fixtures instead of their copper counterparts. As you can guess, step three plays a primary role in determining your project’s cost.
- Finalize – Now it’s time to finish the design, including floor plans, elevations, electrical or mechanical drawings, lighting switch plans, and details. A professional is required to submit paperwork for permits, so if you haven’t yet selected one, now is the time. Make your final determination on what furniture, fixtures, flooring, and other options you’d like to go with.
- Estimates –Contact your contractor – or several if you haven’t already decided on one and have them develop an estimate based on your detailed project plan. This will help you make sure you’re on the right track with your budget, and where you might need to cut back a bit to stay within your range.
- Clean Up – Everything’s finalized. You’ve selected a contractor, and paperwork for permits has been submitted. Now it’s time to clear everything out of the kitchen, and if you plan to remain at the home while your renovation is occurring, you’ll want to set up your temporary kitchen.
- Talk to the Contractor – Many homeowners are so eager to jump into their project they forget to ask the important questions. When will the contractors be there, how will you be updated, what’s the timeline going to look like, what happens if something is overlooked? Communication is also important because it is not uncommon for there to be a few remaining items to fix or finish once the project is complete. There’s a lot that goes into a kitchen renovation, so it’s important to be patient and understanding. You’ll be enjoying that new kitchen in no time now!
We hope this blog post helps you on your exciting journey to a newly renovated kitchen. Norman Graham Builders has performed dozens of kitchen renovations in the Lancaster, PA area, so if you’re looking for a trusted name to work with on this project, please give us a call at 717-656-7336. You can also feel free to browse our kitchen renovation project gallery to get some inspiration for your upcoming project.