You’ve made the decision: it’s finally come time to renovate that old, worn-out kitchen your family has made do with over the years. You know it will take a bit of investment, and you want to make sure it is done correctly so you can enjoy your new space for years to come.
Norman Graham Builders is here to help! We’ve put together a list of five things to consider when planning a kitchen remodel. Following this guide will help you avoid problems and ensure that your dream kitchen becomes a reality.
- Hire a Pro – Having an experienced professional firm like Norman Graham Builders on your team will not only save you time, but could also save you expensive repair work when do-it-yourself goes wrong. Kitchen renovations involve dealing with natural gas, electric, and water lines that could seriously damage your home or even injure you if not professionally installed.
- Prioritize Your List – Your budget can help determine what is most important to you. Primary decisions to make up front are things like layout, infrastructure (flooring, framing, windows, plumbing, electrical), cabinetry and countertops. If you have sufficient budget after these selections have been made, you can move onto secondary considerations like new appliances, fancy faucets, elegant backsplashes or eye-catching light fixtures. If your budget doesn’t allow these items up front, they’re much easier and cheaper to swap in later than something on the primary list.
- Open or Closed Floor Plan? – There are benefits and drawbacks to an open or closed design that you can read more on here. Careful thought should be given to choosing what works best for your kitchen.
- Choose the Right Countertop – Kitchen countertops are very personal choices, and the perfect one can bring everything together. There are dozens of options to choose from (as you can tell in part 1 and part 2 of our Choosing the Right Countertop blogs), including what type of edge you want. Do you go with eased, bevel, or bullnose, and have you considered the ogee? (That’s a name for a fairly common molding that has the profile of an elongated S.) If you need help deciding, we can run you through the ins and outs of each.
- Choose the Right Floor – Just as with the countertops, there are dozens of flooring options available to you as well. Our Helpful Flooring Buyers Guide can help you with that. Some are easier to clean, others are gentler on dropped dishes, and of course, some cost more per square foot than others. You’ll probably see one type of flooring jump to the top of your list as you learn what’s available.
As you can see, there are plenty of things to consider as you begin planning your kitchen renovation. Once you’ve given these basics some thought, plan to save time, money and potential headaches by meeting with an experienced professional. Norman Graham Builders would be happy to discuss your kitchen renovation project. You can reach us at email@example.com, or give us a call at 717-656-7336.